I had a hard time finding good feed and speed numbers for milling holes in plastic ABS enclosures ("project boxes.")
After a number of failed attempts, where the plastic would just melt and burr and become a mess, I found something that works for me, at least on the Desktop ShopBot at my local TechShop:
I've been wanting to put the ICSP 6-pin header onto a soldered Arduino circuit.
This is so that I can make "emergency" fixes even if I've removed the Atmega MCU from the USB-powered board I normally use to prototype and program. Also, even if I socket it on the destination board, moving it too many times back and forth risks significant damage to the pins!
This took me a while to track down. I figured I'd document it for posterity, and anyone else trying to do asynchronous networking in C++ using boost::asio. I'm using Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS with gcc/g++, which uses boost version 1.40. The reason is that the "bytes transferred" argument to the callback is the number of bytes until the separator is found, but more bytes than that are decoded from the socket into the input stream.
Here's a PNG file of a hexagon. The hexagon itself is 256 pixels wide and 225 pixels tall. The PNG is 290 pixels wide and 290 pixels tall. You can use this to generate hex tile grids in HTML and Canvas and XNA and really any other presentation framework you want!
The scheduling latency is the longest time that a "ready" process may have to wait before it actually gets to run.
On a system with a single CPU/core, and many ready processes, this latency will be very long.
On a system that is idle, and has many free CPUs/cores, it should theoretically be zero.
I have a system that creates files on disk, then uses mmap and madvise and mflush to asynchronously do I/O to the disk. This system may potentially create many, many files, each of which will have three mmap sections, that will be rotated through the file.
I recently answered question on the gamedev.net multiplayer and networking forum, that I feel warrants further distribution. The question dealt with trying to use MySQL eventing and MySQL data as the "server" for a large-scale multi-player web-based game.